Home » , , , , , , , , » Hachi: A Dog's Tale.

Hachi: A Dog's Tale.

Written By Paula Babon on Monday, June 6, 2011 | 12:50 PM

Wanted to do a little post on this amazing and sob-inducing movie that I watched the other day.


Warning: Screencaps and spoilers (and probably tears) ahead!



The movie is:


Hachi: A Dog's Tale, also known by it's Japanese title, Hachiko: A Dog's Story.


Hachi is the true story of a dog's undying loyalty to its owner. If you're a dog lover, you will undoubtedly love this movie. However, if you're more of movie critic than a dog lover, you may find this movie boring. It's a very quiet indie movie, not a lot of action, simply about the love between a man and his dog.


Synopsis:

An American adaptation of a Japanese tale about a loyal dog named Hachiko. This very special friend would accompany his master to the train station every day and return each afternoon to greet him after work. Sadly his master departs one day, passes away and never returns to the station. Hachiko faithfully returns to the same spot at the station the very next day, and every day for the next nine years to wait for his beloved master. During his daily visits, Hachiko touches the lives of many who work near and commute through the town square. He teaches the local people love, compassion and above all unyielding loyalty.



Oh my GOD. Let me tell you, I am nothing short of pathetic when it comes to animal movies (yes, even "Bolt" will rip the tears right out of me). I always tells myself to never watch them, but I can't help it. I go against my own advice because I feel that these types of movies always make me appreciate animals more than I already do, which I didn't even think was possible.



Perhaps the saddest part of this story is the fact that Hachi's owner dies when Hachi is around 3 years old. Just the idea that the dog returns every day for NINE years should be enough to soften even the most hardened of people.



While the entire premise of the movie was enough to make me teary eyed before even putting the DVD in, the last part really did me right in. It shows an old, weary Hachi making his way to the train station as usual. The widowed wife decides to go visit her old house and the train station, and she is shocked to see Hachi sitting in his spot, still waiting. She goes right to him, and with tears in her eyes, says something along the lines of "Oh my goodness, Hachi, you're still waiting. Do you mind if I wait for the train with you?"



The scene after that is the last, and it shows Hachi in his spot, watching as the people get off of the last train of the night. Everyone is finally gone, Hachi lays down, closes his eyes, and the screen fills with light. We then see Richard Gere's character comes out of the doors to greet Hachi, and Hachi runs to him as usual. Only this time, it is a lit-up, dream-like scene to signify that they are finally reunited.



Today, a bronze statue of Hachiko sits in his waiting spot outside the Shibuya station in Japan as a permanent reminder of his devotion and love.




If you really love dogs, and are due for a really good cry, I highly recommend this movie.


Now if you'll excuse me, I've used up all my tissues writing this post and need to find some more.
Share this article :
 
Support : Copyright © 2014. Disney Digital 3D