The Lost City of Atlantis

Written By Paula Babon on Friday, June 17, 2011 | 4:49 PM

I'm writing this post after watching the National Geographic special "Finding Atlantis." The mythical city of Atlantis is one of my favorite subjects, so I was really excited when I saw that National Geographic was airing a special on it.

My fascination with Atlantis started, unsurprisingly, with the Disney movie Atlantis: The Lost Empire.

Atlantis poster.


Atlantis is one of Disney's move underrated films. I believe it was very overlooked not only due to the BIG animation competition that year (Shrek), but because it moved away from Disney's usual musical animated movies and was plainly a non-musical animation. Personally, it's one of my very favorites. It's richly animated with charming characters and some sarcastic humor that speaks to me so well.



Artwork from the movie.


This movie is undoubtedly what sparked my interest in the mythical city of Atlantis. The curiosity continued as I began to develop an undying love for all things nautical (ships, sailing, mermaids, pirates, etc.), a category which I consider Atlantis a part of. Of course, I know that Atlantis is a very romantic myth that people are drawn to because of the beautiful images that come along with the myth itself, but I like to believe that anything is possible.

I watched the National Geographic special the night that it aired. To be honest, I found it a little drawn out as the narrators and archaeologists sort of went back and forth explaining how many mythical and biblical places could possibly be Atlantis, because in the end, they seemed pretty sure that, if Atlantis exists, it's most likely at the very first place that they mention.

I love the logo used for this special.


The general consensus is that Atlantis may be buried under or near the DoƱana Mudflats in Spain. I'm gonna need to watch it again, but I believe that were confident in this location because of the type of methane that was detected in that area.



I think this is a fascinating discovery and I can't wait to hear more about it. I would actually love to be a part of it. Maybe I should start looking into archaeology classes.

The National Geographic Channel's Finding Atlantis special is airing again on Tuesday, June 21st, at 4 PM (Eastern time, I presume). I'll probably DVR it. Will you be tuning in?

Here are another couple of interpretations of Atlantis that I love:

Beautiful artwork.


The Ruins Lagoon from the Royal Towers of Atlantis Paradise Island in the Bahamas.

Can you swim in there?
Share this article :
 
Support : Copyright © 2014. Disney Digital 3D