Home » , , , , , , , , » I Want to Start an Etsy Shop

I Want to Start an Etsy Shop

Written By Paula Babon on Monday, October 24, 2011 | 1:21 PM

I got into Etsy rather late in the game. I'd heard some things about it for a couple of years before I finally decided to take a look.

If you don't know what Etsy is, it's an online marketplace for "handmade" things. You know, small businesses / home businesses. A place especially suited for creative types. Which is fantastic.

From the first time I visited the site, I loved it. I immediately created an account and started browsing for things to add to my favorites list. Here are some of my Etsy faves (click to view larger):




After browsing for the past year or so, and buying a couple of things, I'm really getting into the idea of opening a shop of my own. However, I find there to be one slight problem.

I feel that the home business market, especially on Etsy itself, is SO saturated right now. I'll have an idea of something that I know I would enjoy making, and then I'll search around to see that one (or more) people seem to have already gotten around to it.

And while there are many people on the site who sell items that are the exact same or similar, I've noticed just how quick people are to scream "COPYCAT!" and proceed to put down anyone else who is selling the same items as them. Honestly, it's kind of nauseating.

But I still have this urge to open a shop. I've always been a creative person and it just seems like something that would be a lot of fun.

Also, if anyone could tell me, what exactly is the deal with using copyrighted art?

Whatever you do, do NOT jump down my throat with "Umm you absolutely, 100%, definitely can NOT use copyrighted artwork or you'll get sued!"

There are thousands of sellers on Etsy who use artwork from the likes of Disney, Dreamworks, Harry Potter, anime, etc., on things like jewelry, accessories, and clothing. I'm not trying to call anyone out. The point is that I don't see them getting sued, so I'm just wondering what the deal is? Especially when it comes to clothing.

If anyone could provide me this information, that would be greatly appreciated =]. I'll do some research on my own, but it's always nice to receive helpful resources.


Share this article :
 
Support : Copyright © 2014. Disney Digital 3D